Wednesday 11 May 2016

American Thumb - Day 13 - Exeter, New Hampshire to Harriman, Tennessee

My wife doesn't laugh at my blog as much as she used to.  The first thing she does each morning is read it.  This morning, all she says is, 'You were very descriptive about Exeter.'  I get the subtext.  I ask her if she liked any of it.  'Yes,' she says.  'But it was 'hm' funny.  Not 'haha' funny.'  She then proceeds to sing the laughter song from Mary Poppins at me.  I'm losing it.  She's also pointed out that my thumb hasn't made the blog in a few days and insinuated that the thumb is the thing people are most interested in hearing about and seeing pictures of.  I said I didn't think people were that interested in my thumb.  She said, 'Exactly.'

So today was a travel day when not a lot happened.  We caught a plane to Nashville and then drove halfway to Dollywood.  We'll finish the journey tomorrow and spend all day in Dollywood so that night's blog will be all about that, but today's will be about other things.  

We had a hotel breakfast today.  The last three days, we didn't have that.  We bought a big box of Cheerios from the supermarket by way of a snack for S on the first day in that hotel.  We then decided we should finish the box and proceeded to eat Cheerios for breakfast every morning we were there.  But due to an absence of crockery, we ate them out out of the paper cups in our room.  Maybe that sounds depressing.  Maybe it was.  Anyway, today's hotel breakfast felt like a right treat.  I took full advantage and have put on 2 stone.

First impressions of Tennessee are that the people are super friendly, the accents are amazing and it's a lot greener than I thought it would be.  I was expecting dust.  But it's hot.  Holiday hot.  And sunny.  Which is great.  E's mood has the atomic weight of a planet when it's raining and is impossible to lift.  So fingers crossed everything stays as it is.

Actually, one interesting thing happened.  Nashville is in the Central time zone.  But we landed and drove east.  We're now at the hotel and six miles west, we crossed back into Eastern Standard Time.  It confused the hell out of the sat nav.  And us.  I have no real idea what time it is right now but it's late and I'm tired.

In heartbreaking news, I left my Brylcreem at the last hotel and now have horribly frizzy hair.  I look forward to spending my time in Nashville looking like Chewbacca.

My wife read the first draft of this and did laugh.  It seems she's happiest when reading off a list of my complaints, grievances and petty sadnesses.  It works for us.  She's complained that she comes across terribly in my blog.  I told her to let me know if anything I've said isn't true.  That shut her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment